2016 Democratic Party Platform
What follows is our 2016 platform — our most progressive platform in our party’s history and a declaration of how we plan to move America forward. Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.
This party platform was voted on and passed by our membership at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia in 2016. The platform will be updated and re-approved at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
Here’s a condensed version of what you’ll find on the platform page:
• Protect and promote every American’s fundamental right to vote.
• Advance access to liberty and equality for all.
• Advance clean energy and climate change action.
• Make smarter infrastructure investments.
• Invest in modern education and jobs programs that prepare our kids for tomorrow’s challenges.
• Lower health care costs; ensure all Americans have access to quality, affordable health care;
a stabilize Medicare and Medicaid.
• Raise wages, close the wealth gap, strengthen Social Security.
• Fix our criminal justice system to eliminate systemic racism.
• Guarantee rights for minorities, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ community, and all Americans.
• Act to advance women’s rights, protect access to reproductive care, fight for equal pay,
a stop violence against women, and elect more women to public office.
• Defend our borders, our ideals and our institutions.
• Support our veterans and military families.
• Assure sensible immigration reform that keeps America’s promise.
• Ensure common-sense gun reforms.